The College

FAQs or ‘Frequent asked Questions’

Is the College easy to find?
Yes, the College is in Central London (Zone 1) and very close to Tower Hill or Aldgate tube stations. Take a look at our maps to help you – and if you have any problems, give us a call on 0207 221 6665.

Can I use the Internet at the College?
Yes, free unlimited Internet access is available to all our students at the College and in our residences.

What self-study facilities are there?
The library provides space for silent study.

Can I buy food and drink at the college?
The students can purchase, light snacks, sandwiches, salads, hot and cold drinks throughout the day from the canteen. The canteen also has a digital television to help students relax during their breaks.

What do I need to bring on my first day?
You will need to bring your passport. You should bring two photos if you are studying for more than 14 weeks and want a travel discount card. A pen and paper are also useful.

What time does KAE open and close?
The reception is open from 8.30am – 6pm.

Can I come in for a trial lesson?
Yes, we can arrange a trial lesson for you. You will need to do a Level Test before the class so come in and speak to reception.

Can I borrow books?
You can borrow books from our Book Club on Wednesdays at room A223. We have books for learners of all levels. A great opportunity to read more English!



How long do courses last?
Students can choose to study either a short course, for a minimum of one week, or a longer course for anything up to one year or more. When you arrive at the college you will do a grammar and writing task. You will also have an oral interview where your spoken English will be tested and we will assess which is the right level for you. This is also the time when we find out about your goals in English language so that we can plan a programme for you.

Is there a difference between General English morning and afternoon classes?
The aims of the morning and afternoon classes are different. In the morning classes new grammar is introduced. Reading and listening comprehension skills are also developed. The afternoon classes give students the opportunity to practise and consolidate skills developed in the morning classes, with more emphasis on conversation.

Do I need to buy a book?
The Registration Fee includes the cost of your first course book. When students change level they will need to buy the new book for that level. The average cost of a course book at KAE is £25.

How many students are in each class?
The maximum in a class is 15, but the average is 9.

Where are the students from?
Our students are from all over the world. Every year we have students from more than 50 nationalities studying at KAE so you will have plenty of opportunity to practise English with new international friends.

How much homework will I get?
Students are set homework regularly. Homework is designed to practise language from the class and usually takes less than 30 minutes per day.

What happens if I want to change level?
You will be tested regularly in class and the teacher will monitor your progress. If your teacher agrees that you are ready to go up, you will need to sit a level test in order to move up to the next class. If you feel your class is too difficult, speak with your teacher or the Director of Studies and they will make a decision on the best class for you.

How can I check my progress?
During your class you will have regular tests to check that you are making progress. If you have any questions you can always speak to your teacher.

What exams does the College offer?
The College offers exam preparation courses for CAE, FCE, Trinity ISE I and IELTS. We are not an examination centre but we can help you to book an examination centre for an exam, however we cannot guarantee availability.



How do I decide what accommodation is best for me?
Most of our students stay in our nearby residences. These are great places to meet other students and are very central. However some students prefer to stay in a homestay; to find out more about English culture and to practise their English. Please contact us if you want help in deciding what accommodation you would like.

What happens if I have a problem with the accommodation?
You should talk to the Accommodation officer or Susanne or Funda in the College. Once we know about the problem we will try and resolve it. If it is not possible to work out the issue we will arrange for you to be moved as soon as possible.

Will I get meals?
All of our residences are self-catering, so you can use the shared kitchens to prepare meals. There are many cafes and restaurants in the area if you prefer not to cook. Our homestay accommodation is half-board/full-board, which means you will have breakfast and dinner with your homestay provider with packed lunches if you choose the full-board option. At the College there is a canteen offering cheap meals and snacks.

How far are the homestay providers from the College?
Most of our homestay providers are within 30 minute public transport journey to the College. If you would like to be nearer to College, we do have a few closer providers at a more expensive rate, so please ask us when you enrol.



Do I need a visa?

If you are from an EEA country you do not need a visa. For other nationalities visa requirements vary. If you want to check what the requirements for your country are, please ask your local British Embassy or look at look at; https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

How do I get a visa?
In order to apply for a visa:

  • You will need a letter from the college confirming that you have booked the course.
  • You will need information on your accommodation in London.
  • You must be enrolled on a course of a minimum of 15 hours classes a week.
  • You must be able to show that you have enough money to pay for your studies and be able to support yourself in London.
  • Speak to your local British Embassy for more information.

What happens if my visa is refused?
If your visa application is refused you will need to send us the original documentation confirming the refusal. We can then refund your course fees minus £100, which is the College’s administration charge. Please see our terms and conditions page for further information.

Will someone meet me at the airport when I arrive?
Yes, if you request it in advance. We can arrange for a driver to come and pick you up at the airport and take you to your accommodation. For price details please contact us . But you may prefer to take the tube or airport bus, which is of course cheaper.

Do I need to register with the police?
Some students will get a stamp asking them to register with the police at immigration. If you receive this stamp, please come to reception and we will help you. There is also information about registering in our student handbook which will be given to you on the first day of your course.

Can I get a student travel card?
Yes, if you are studying for more than 14 weeks. Go to reception to get your application form. You will also need a photo and £10. Once you have the student travel discount card you will receive 30% off travel in London.

Will I be able to open a bank account?
Yes, if you are a long-term student. To open a bank account you will need a letter from the school, your passport, proof of your address and details of your bank at home. If you have problems opening an account, our International Student Welfare Officer, Terry Kwok will be happy to help.

What happens if I am ill?
If you are studying for 6 months or more you should register with a doctor near where you live as soon as you arrive in London. This makes it easy to see a doctor whenever you are ill. Please see the student handbook for details. If you are not registered you can still receive treatment – at a hospital in an emergency, or at an NHS Walk-in Centre. If you are unsure what to do, please ask at Reception. WE ADVISE YOU TO TAKE OUT MEDICAL INSURANCE BEFORE TRAVELLING.

How can I get insurance?
KAE strongly advises all students to organise their own travel and medical insurance.

Will I be able to work in London?
Yes, if you are an EU citizen you can work as many hours as you like. If you are studying on a student visa you are not permitted to work in the UK. If you are not sure whether you are allowed to work or not please check with the college reception.

Can I use my mobile phone in the UK?
Yes, if you have a GSM phone. Speak to your service provider for more information. It will be very expensive to use your phone in the UK so for longer-term students we would recommend that you buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card here.

What’s the weather like in London?
The weather in Britain is very changeable so whenever you come it is sensible to bring a variety of different clothes – and an umbrella! In the winter (December-February) it is very cold and you should bring lots of warm clothes including hats and scarves.

Summer (June-August) can be variable with average temperatures of 17-21 degrees Celsius. You will need a light jacket and some sweaters. Temperatures can rise to over 30 degrees Celsius though, and remember your sunscreen! Spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) have average temperatures of 10-15 degrees Celsius, but again can be variable, so make sure you bring some warm clothes. See the weather forecast.


Social Programme

I’m new in London. How can I make friends at KAE?

Talk to other students from your class in the canteen at breaktimes. Take part in excursions and activities. Ask KAE Administrators to introduce you to other students.

What social activities do you organise?
We arrange a varied social programme including trips to famous London attractions as well as less well known parts of the city. In the summer there are frequent College picnics in the park. Please see our notice board outside U15 for more information or visit our social programme page for more information.

Can I travel outside London easily?
We advertise weekend tours with a well-established London company at the college and also our social programme organiser arranges trips outside London too. Please check the student’s notice board or talk to the KAE administrators in U15. These are designed for students and we can recommend the tours thoroughly. These run to places of interest around the UK, including Bath, Stonehenge, Oxford, Cambridge and Stratford.

Can I take holidays if I am a long-term student?
Yes you can, but make sure you tell reception in advance. You can take upto 4 weeks holiday if you are enrolled on a 36 week course.



How do I enrol?

It is easy to enrol on one of our courses. You can enrol on-line using our simple form. To confirm and secure your place you will need to pay a deposit for a course lasting more than 4 weeks, or the full fees for a course of 4 weeks or less. The deposit varies please contact us for details. The balance of your fees will be due on the first day of your course.

See all of our fees for our courses, accommodation and airport transfers here.

How can I pay for a course?
You can pay the fees either by credit card, cheque or bank transfer. Please note that there is a 2% supplement for credit card payments and that cheques must be in Pounds Sterling and payable to David Game College. To pay by credit card please contact us to request an authorisation form.

Do I need to pay in full before I receive a school acceptance letter?
Yes, if you need a visa we will issue an acceptance letter after you have paid the fees in full. For a one-year course, fees may be paid in two installments. The balance of your fees will be due on the first day of your course. You may prefer to pay the full fees in advance, if you need a visa: in this case, we will state this on your acceptance letter.

When can I start my course?
Students can join classes on any Monday. (Except Bank Holidays – lessons begin on a Tuesday).


What are the terms and conditions?
Please refer to our Terms and Conditions page.